Adding up to Five Activity08:30
Ethan is starting to learn to add. It's almost taken me by surprise because he just started picking it up naturally, and now he's really interested in adding numbers together. Of course we want to keep it fun, so today we're using his Paw Patrol erasers to learn all of the different ways to add numbers together to make five (number bonds to 5).
What you'll need
It was so simple to set up, I took 2 little sorting bowls and placed the erasers in them. Then I put them on a large piece of paper and wrote a '+' symbol between them and wrote '=5' after them. I sat Ethan down at the table and he was excited straight away, because he loves Paw Patrol and was happy to do anything using these erasers. I asked him how many erasers were in the first bowl and the second, then how many there were altogether. I explained to him what the symbols were and then asked him to mix up the erasers into the two bowls.
We did this a few times, he enjoyed putting different combinations of the characters together and happily went through the addition phrase with me each time.
By the end we had gone through all of the possible combinations and explored all of the number bonds for 5. He really did seem to grasp it quite well, I was so impressed! So to extend things further I asked him if he could write the number of erasers under each bowl, and copy the symbols from above as he's just learning to write numbers as well. He did a great job and was so happy to have a try.
This post is part of the Tools for Learning blog hop, this week a collection of bloggers from around the world are all using mini erasers for learning activities, take a look for some fun inspiration with erasers!
- Fill the Jar Addition Game with Mini Erasers from Life Over C’s
- Sticky Ten Frames from Still Playing School
- Construction Site Preschool Letter Sensory Bin from Learning 2 Walk
- Mini Eraser Counting Game: Race to Fill the Cup from Mom Inspired Life
- Kindergarten Patterns from Sugar Aunts
- Valentine's Day Grid Math Game with Mini Erasers from Stir the Wonder
- Emotions I Spy Bag from Adventures of Adam
- Valentine's Puppies Roll and Cover Game from Simple Fun For Kids
- Lots-of-Love Heart Sight Word Game from Raising Little Superheroes
- Stack the Erasers Fine Motor Math Game from School Time Snippets
- Sensory Heart Tic Tac Toe from Mum in the Madhouse
- Adding up to Five Activity from Play & Learn Everyday
- Number Bonds Activity Using Mini Erasers from Lalymom
- Mini Erasers Busy Box from Teach me Mommy
For more fun, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!
Follow Play & Learn Everyday's board Play & Learn Everyday - Crafts and Activities from the Blog on Pinterest.